Top 3 Public Lands to Hunt Deer in Southern MarylandPosted on: October 10, 2018 By: FHMD
With one of the highest hunter success rates in the Mid-Atlantic region – and with one of the most generous bag limits in the country – Maryland offers some of the best deer hunting opportunities in the country. Heading to Southern Maryland’s public land areas offers hunters the chance to experience all the beauty of the Free State.
Here are the top three public lands to hunt deer in Southern Maryland, along with some great hotel rates for hunters:
Parkers Creek Wildlife Management Area (WMA)
Parkers Creek WMA is an 1810-acre property, located in Calvert County near Prince Frederick, MD. The WMA is deer hunting only and open for all legal deer seasons. Parkers Creek is mostly forested, but also consists of bottomland swamp, marsh, upland field and agricultural field elements. A free Southern Region Public Hunting Permit and reservation are required in order to hunt this area.
Cedar Point Wildlife Management Area (WMA)
Cedar Point WMA is 1920 acres in size and is located in western Charles County. This diverse WMA is located along the Potomac River between Kings Creek and Goose Creek. Cedar Point has a large agricultural component on the property, which is a great focus for deer hunting. Having nutrient rich soils and a wide diversity of habitat and dense cover, this WMA has the right ingredients to grow mature deer. For the hunter willing to scout and put their time in the woods, a successful quality hunt is a strong possibility.
Myrtle Grove Wildlife Management Area (WMA)
Myrtle Grove WMA is a 4460-acre property in western Charles County just south of Waldorf, MD. Being the largest WMA in the southern region, Myrtle Grove is somewhat fragmented by roadways, creating many different access points. The WMA is mostly forested, but also has some upland areas, swamp and wetland components. Being largely forested, there are many oak flats, which provide a great food source for deer, as well as ample hunting opportunity. The Myrtle Grove WMA public hunting office is also located on the property so feel free to stop in and gather more information about other public hunting opportunities in the southern region.
To start planning your deer hunt in Southern Maryland, be sure to visit the Plan Section of our site to find lodging, guides and outfitters, outdoor retailers, and shooting ranges. Be sure to visit Maryland Department of Natural Resources online for more information on seasons and regulations before heading out!
Here are a few lodging deals in Southern Maryland to help make the most out of this year’s dear hunt:
- Super 8 (40 Commerce Lane, Prince Frederick, MD 20678)
- Hunters/Anglers Nov 2018-Feb 2019 – $59.99 during the week, $63.99 for the weekend. Use discount code “MDDEER“or “FHMD“.
- Call (410) 535-8668 for more information.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Prince Frederick (75 Sherry Lane, Prince Frederick, MD 20678)
- Hunters/Anglers Nov 2018-Feb 2019 – $90 plus tax ($99.90 total). Use discount code “Deer Hunters Discount”.
- Call (443) 968-3000 for more information.
- Quality Inn Solomons, Beacon Marina (255 Lore Road, Solomons, MD 20688)
- Hunters/Anglers Nov 2018-Feb 2019 – 15% off during the months of Nov 2018, Dec 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019. Subject to availability. Use discount code “FHMD“.
- Call (410) 326-6303 for more information.